Friday, May 27, 2011

My Favorite Sugar Cookies (Seriously...They Rock!!!)

These are a specialty of mine...one of my most favorite things to bake. And, every time I make these, people say "these are the best sugar cookies I've ever had". I got the recipe years ago from a friend, and have had a ton of people ask me for it. So, I wanted to share it here too.
I used to use canned frosting, and they were still delicious. But recently, my friend Kaytie shared her buttercream frosting recipe with me, and now that I've been making my own frosting, the cookies are even more delicious (really, really seriously delicious!)

THE BEST SUGAR COOKIE EVER
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar

I use my KitchenAid, but you can also use a hand mixer. 
Cream butter and sugar. Add oil, eggs, salt and vanilla and mix. Add 1 cup of the flour, the baking soda and the cream of tartar and mix. Then gradually add the other 4 cups of flour until it's thoroughly mixed in. Roll into balls (I use a cookie scoop--it makes it so easy!) and bake at 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes (you don't want them to get brown at all). When you take out, flatten them (with bottom of a glass) just a bit. Frost if desired (they're really good even without frosting). This recipe makes 5-7 dozen cookies depending on size of balls you make.

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
1-1/2 cups butter
6 cups powdered sugar
1/8 cup water
1 Tbsp vanilla

Start with the butter-beat till fluffy. Slowly add sugar, then water and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Add food coloring if desired. This makes a lot of frosting so you can be pretty generous putting it on your cookies:o).

No comments:

Post a Comment