Friday, July 29, 2011

Soup in Summer?

Yesterday I needed to make a main dish for our (church) small group and I decided that I really didn't want to turn on the oven & I had hamburger to use up, so I figured I'd turn to an old stand-by...Taco Soup in a crockpot. I make this all the time in the winter, but don't really think about making it in the summer because soup isn't thought to be a "summer thing" (well, why not? other main dishes are hot too, so why not have soup?). Well, it was a HUGE hit (and no one complained about having soup in the summer either;o)). 

I was also surprised because I thought everyone had this recipe...but I guess not? So if you're one of the few that's never made this...you should start now (even if it's summer). It's easy, delicious, adaptable (you can use or omit a variety of ingredients to your liking---you can easily make it vegetarian by just leaving out the meat), makes a lot, and you won't have to heat up your house to make it...:o)

TACO SOUP
1 can petite-cut diced tomatoes
1 can of water
1 can kidney beans (drain)
1 can black beans (drain)
1 can chili beans (don't drain)
1 can corn (drain)
1 pound hamburger (browned)
1 packet taco seasoning

Mix all the above together, simmer about 2 hours or in crockpot on low for 4-6 hours (or high for 2-4 hours). Serve with "taco stuff" sides like grated cheese, chopped onion, sour cream and taco chips.

*Note: I've substituted different types of beans and they all work great...just remember that you'll always want to use at least one can of the chili beans (or I've also used Nalley's chili) for the sauce it has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment